Call Us

New York Office

Phone: +1 917 539 9007

Hong Kong Office

Phone:+852 9248 4222
diamond registry logo diamond registry logo About Us

Facts About Diamond Properties and Applications

wedding ring engagement ring diamond jewelry

The hardest naturally occurring substance is diamond. Over 70% of diamonds are used in industrial applications, and demand for the commodity is always increasing.

Natural diamond is formed by carbon crystals under extreme temperature and pressure conditions that exist only around 100 miles below the earth's surface. It is usually 99.95 percent carbon. The remaining 0.05 percent may contain one or more trace elements, which are atoms that are not crucial to the diamond's chemistry.

Diamond has an isometric crystal structure, which implies that the carbon atoms are connected in the same way in all orientations.

Diamond could be just another mineral if none of these features are present. Fortunately, this unique mix of chemical makeup, crystal structure, and creation mechanism gives diamonds their exceptional properties.

Properties

Aside from hardness, diamond has a remarkable set of chemicals, physical, and mechanical properties:

  • Hardness
  • The coefficient of friction is low.
  • Thermal conductivity is very high.
  • Electrical resistance is high.
  • Low coefficient of thermal expansion
  • High tenacity

The optical transparency ranges from ultra violet to infrared.

Chemical corrosion resistance

Biological compatibility

Application illustration

Since World War II, the use of diamond has increased dramatically, owing to its unique mix of characteristics and increased availability as synthesis processes improved.

  • Components of wear
  • Tools for cutting
  • Thermal administration (in e.g. substrates, heat spreaders and heat sinks)
  • Semiconductors are electronic devices.
  • optical elements
  • Additional high-performance applications

Bonus!

Sell your diamonds with ease with Diamond Registry’s comprehensive approach and vast global industry connections to help you find the best buyer for your diamond fast. Visit www.diamondregistry.com/sell-your-ring to take your first step to fast, easy and reliable way of selling your diamond.

Want to check and calculate diamond per carat instantly? Go to DR’s diamond price calculator to know how. Reliable and trusted carat calculator in the diamond industry since!

Jewelry
Color range: i
  • D Color
  • E Color
  • F Color
  • G Color
  • I Color
  • J Color
  • K Color
  • D Color
  • E Color
  • F Color
  • G Color
  • I Color
  • J Color
  • K Color
Clarity: i
  • I.F.
  • VVS1
  • VVS2
  • VS1
  • VS2
  • SI1
  • SI2
  • I.F.
  • VVS1
  • VVS2
  • VS1
  • VS2
  • SI1
  • SI2
Color: Color i
Color intensity:  Faint - Fancy i
  • Faint
  • Faint
  • Very Light
  • Light
  • Fancy Light
  • Fancy
  • Fancy Intense
  • Fancy Vivid
  • Fancy Deep
  • Faint
  • Faint
  • Very Light
  • Light
  • Fancy Light
  • Fancy
  • Fancy Intense
  • Fancy Vivid
  • Fancy Deep
FREE QUOTE
Check the Wholesale Price
Weight (carat):  1 carat
  • 1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
Shape: i
Free Wholesale Quote
Submit your details and our experts will contact you with price information
Free Wholesale Quote